Sometimes it’s the simple things in life that are the most satisfying. Like right now. I have the house to myself, I’m watching a movie that I chose to watch without having to compromise with anyone else in order to watch it, and I have a stash of Kit Kats and Twizzlers that I don’t have to share with anyone.
Life can be sweet when you choose to notice the little things that bring you joy. Today, as you move through life, make a point of noticing the simple moments that lift your heart. Here are a few ideas to get you going.
- Waking up on Monday and realizing it’s a long weekend
- Beads of condensation forming on the sides of a cold drink on a hot, summer day
- Climbing into a bed with fresh sheets
- A quiet backyard on a windless morning
- Lying in the sun on the living room carpet
- A hotel room to myself
- Finding the chocolate bar you had hidden away and had forgotten about
- The cotton candy-pink clouds of a prairie sunset
- Your kids finally being old enough to read the books you loved when you were younger
- A clean table
- Staying in the tub so long that your toes turn wrinkly
- Waking up before the alarm goes off
- Getting into your own bed for the first time after being on vacation for a couple of weeks
- Your kids telling you that you’re the best mom ever
- Eating the first cookie off the cookie sheet when it’s still warm from the oven
- Taking off your shoes and especially socks after a long, hot day at an amusement park
- Coming across your must-watch-if-it’s-on rom com when you’re flipping through the channels (e.g., The American President) and there’s nothing good on
- Slipping your feet into the water after crossing the scorching sand of the beach
- Realizing that you have 20 bucks tucked away in your nightstand and can use that to pay for delivery
What’s on your list of joyful things?