Sometimes the daily grind feels like a little too much, but not in a “life is full” kind of way; more like in an energy-sucking, soul vampire kind of way. Your stress levels rise and that need for escape and for downtime will surface and this statement will pop out of your mouth: “I need a vacation.”
I’m delighted to report that this statement hasn’t crossed my lips in quite some time. Right now, I’m working with a fantastic life coach and have really worked at shifting my life so that I’m not feeling overwhelmed, I’m not drowning in stress, and I’m taking care of myself on a daily basis through meditation, yoga, regular exercise, and a gratitude practice. My need for a vacation has morphed into the desire for one. It’s less about escaping and more about living life to the fullest.
Holidays away are fantastic. There is something life-affirming and heart-opening about venturing afar, seeing new things, and removing yourself from your usual routine. I’m partial to beach destinations myself.
Vacations don’t typically happen at the instant that you want them to, though. They take planning, money, and a break in your schedule.
If a holiday isn’t in the cards for you right now but you feel like you need a lift, then you’re in the right place, because here are 10 things you can do RIGHT NOW to feel good, pretty much instantly.
1. Take 3 deep breaths, in and out, belly-deep.
2. Go outside, or simply look out the window and absorb nature.
3. Drink a glass of water. You can throw a lemon slice or a couple of berries in there, too.
4. Turn on a song that you can sing or dance to (or both). I’m currently loving Shake It Off by Taylor Swift.
5. Write down 10 things that you appreciate or feel grateful for. If 10 feels too hard, start with 3.
7. Practice legs-up-the-wall pose.
8. Step away from the couch, computer, or TV and move your body in whatever way feels good.
9. Stretch. You might want to start with your neck and shoulders.
10. Smile, or laugh. Even if you have to force it, it often turns into the genuine article.
What gives you an instant boost? What’s your favourite vacation destination?