I celebrate my 40th birthday in 40 weeks. It’s kind of a big deal, right? Forty seems to be a big milestone for a lot of the women I know. There’s a sense that the frivolity of your youth is over, but that there’s a whole lot of living to do, and as someone with forty years tucked under her belt, you now have a sense of exactly what kind of living that is.
I thought that I would be dreading the big 4-0, and while I guess I’m not exactly loving that I’m getting older and closer to death, I’m certainly not avoiding the idea of my big birthday at all. In fact, I’ve decided to celebrate being alive for 40 years through a series of challenges over the next 40 weeks. I think it’s really a great time to focus on healthy habits, reviewing where I’ve been and where I’m at in my life, and plain ol’ having fun.
40 Challenges for 40 Weeks
It’s cheesy, but why not celebrate your 40th birthday for more than a single day? Why not do something that will make you a better person, reflect on where you’ve been, and get you having fun all the way to 40? These are not all week-long challenges. Some of them span 40 days, others involve compiling lists about your life, while still others will end on your birthday. Ready to see the list of challenges? Here we go!
- 40 Days of Gratitude
- 40 Favourite Songs
- 40 Favourite Things About Disney World (or your favourite place to visit)
- 40 Items Decluttered – Challenge #1
- 40 Movies in 40 Weeks
- 40×40 of Portuguese (or another language)
- 40 Favourite Movies
- 40 Gifts Challenge
- 40-Song Running Playlist for Spring
- 40 Facebook Posts by 40
- 4×40 Electronics-Free Hours by 40
- 40 Acts of Kindness by 40
- 40-Song Walking Playlist
- 40 Days of Planks
- 40 Ways to Show Employees Appreciation
- 40 Days of Saving by 40
- 40 Favourite Books
- 40 Loves Notes Before 40
- 40 Fun Things To Do by 40
- Run a 10k By 40
- 40 Days of Yoga
- 40 Healthy Things To Do before 40
- 40-Song Summer Running Playlist
- 40 Things To Do with Your Kids by 40
- 40 Sunsets
- 40 Days of Writing
- 40 Things To Do This Summer
- 40 Items Decluttered – Challenge #2
- 40 Nice Things To Do for Your Husband by 40
- 40 Nice Things to Do for Your Family and Friends by 40
- 40 Emails by 40
- 40 Meditation Sessions by 40
- 40 Days of Pushups
- 40 Work Goals by 40
- 40 Ways to Feel Uplifted
- 40 Days of Stretching
- 40-Song Fall Running Playlist
- Run a Half Marathon by 40
- 40 Selfies Collection
- 40 Days of Joy
As the year unfolds, I’ll be posting exactly what each challenge involves and how I’m doing.
To Party or Not to Party
You might be thinking that challenges are all well and good, but is there going to be a party? At this point, for me, I’m not sure. I love planning birthday parties, but it’s different when it’s my own. My gut is telling me to plan something with just my family, maybe a weekend away somewhere fun, doing stuff that brings me joy. All I know is that THERE WILL BE CAKE.
Do you think that forty is a big milestone? What’s your idea of a fabulous birthday celebration?