Oy, I am tired. Didn’t go to bed too late last night, but my sick son was up having a party at 2:30am. No, that’s not some weird euphemism for vomiting: he was downstairs, watching cartoons, volume blasting on the TV. It may have been Spongebob, but my memory is hazy. In any case, after my husband yelled at him to turn off the TV and get to bed, I fell back asleep, but the rest of the night was restless. I think my daughter crawled in at some point, now that I think of it.
I was up at 5am for a final review of the material, covering lectures from September to present – yes, apparently that’s what is considered a midterm in this class. Actually, I’m not really complaining, because we only have about 6 weeks of classes left, so I’ve reviewed the bulk of the material for the final.
I’m still up because I’m waiting to hear back from a couple of classmates, with whom I’m doing a presentation tomorrow. If I need to make any changes to my portion of the presentation, I’d like to do it tonight rather than last-minute tomorrow. Since I’m practically falling asleep in front of my computer screen, though, I don’t think I can hold out much longer.
Onto my food journal. My eating today was okay, but I was still short on veggies. Here’s a summary:
- Breakfast: 3/4 c cooked oatmeal, 1 mashed banana, 1 c skim milk
- Snack: banana, Venti awake tea and low fat chocolate chip banana loaf from Starbucks (apparently I wore off the oatmeal I had consumed at 6am and was starving, hence the not-so-great purchase of banana loaf)
- Lunch: 1 c rice, 1/4 c shredded carrots, 1/2 c bean sprouts, 3 oz hoisin pork (ate at the hospital cafeteria), 600mL Diet Dr. Pepper
- Snack: apple, 600 mL water
- Supper: 1 c skim milk, 2 1/2 oz chicken thigh, 1/2 c carrots, 1/2 c quinoa, 2 Goodie Rings
Now that I’ve recorded my food intake for a few days, there are a few things I’ve noticed:
- Not enough veggies. Seems to be related to the fact that I’ve been buying lunch at the hospital cafeteria, where the salads are usually iceberg lettuce, not tasty, or quite expensive. Clearly I’m going to have to make packing veggies for lunch a priority. Also, my husband has to learn to make more veggies for supper, because I got a measly 1/2 c of carrots tonight!
- I’m going to have to make an effort to drink water first thing in the morning and over lunch, because I’m sure I’m chronically dehydrated. Realistically I can’t fit in water breaks when I’m with patients, because we are with them 2 1/2 to 3 hours straight and can’t really keep water bottles where we’re working for sanitary reasons. I’m in dentistry. Let’s just say blood and saliva spray are involved and leave it at that.
- I need to continue packing fresh fruit as snacks, because that’s working for me.
- I should consider having healthy, non-perishable snacks at school for when I’m extra hungry. That way I don’t fall back on treats from Starbucks. I’m finding the non-perishable part tricky, though.
With respect for my nutrition goals for the week, did I get 8 c of water today? No, but I did get 8 c of fluid (tea, pop, water, milk), so that’s something. Did I eat 4 servings of vegetables? No, but I’ve recognized a few thing I need to do to improve. Did I track my food? You betcha.
Another great thing about food journaling? It sometimes stops you from consuming less healthy items, like the Easter Creme Egg my husband bought and left lying around the house, because you don’t want to see it in your journal. Whatever works, right? It doesn’t hurt that I’m posting online and I know that others will be reading (and judging), too.
Well, I think I’m about done for the night, now that I’ve heard back from one of my classmates. I’m planning to get a run in tomorrow after school, but if my husband doesn’t have paperwork tomorrow night, we might have a date instead. I’m not sure a running date would work, since the slush and snow on the sidewalks would likely require us to go single file and that’s not my idea of a great date, but we’ll see. Oh, and it’s snowing right now, too, so we’ll see just how slick everything is tomorrow. If I don’t run tomorrow, I will run Friday after school, though. And bootcamp Saturday morning! I’m expecting to get my butt kicked again.
Do you ever have exercise dates? Does that work well for you? What kind of activities do you do? Personally, I’m terrible at talking and running. I almost always end up with side stitches.