Songs to Spin to: A Biking Playlist
I did my first triathlon this year, but since I hadn’t owned a bike for, gosh, it’s gotta be 10 years or so (and longer since I’ve really ridden a bike), I went out and bought one. Luckily, I re-discovered that riding a bike is FUN. There’s something about covering ground more quickly than you do when you run that makes it kind of exciting.
Sometimes, though, I have to get a bike workout in and the weather’s crappy (and sometimes I’ve procrastinated and it’s too dark to go outside – oops!), so I head down to the really old stationary bike that we have in the basement. Stationary biking is….well, I can’t even come up with a word for how bad I think it is. “Horrific” may be a little dramatic – it’s just exercise I’m talking about, after all.
Unfortunately, I’ve found I can’t really watch TV when I bike because I get into the show I’m watching and I just don’t pedal hard enough. What DOES work for me is listening to songs with a beat that makes me to spin at a fairly high RPM. Here are the songs on my current biking playlist:
- Not Falling Apart – Maroon 5
- American Boy (feat. Kanye West) – Estelle
- Poker Face – Lady GaGa
- Let It Rock – Kevin Rudolf & Lil Wayne
- Makes Me Wonder – Maroon 5
- Stayin’ Alive – Bee Gees
- Billie Jean – Michael Jackson
- Eye of the Tiger – Survivor
- Learning to Fly – Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers
- Won’t Go Home Without You – Maroon 5
- 1234 – Feist
- Hollaback Girl – Gwen Stefani
- SexyBack – Justin Timberlake featuring Timbaland
- Don’t Stop the Music – Rihanna Good Girl Gone Bad
- Another One Bites the Dust – Queen
I rode to it last night – the first time in quite a while that I’ve used this playlist – and found that some of the songs are a little faster than I’d like them to be (but better faster than slower, ya know?). A couple, though, had the perfect beat for the interval workout I was doing: Stayin’ Alive (103 bpm) and Eye of the Tiger (105 bpm). There’s no school like the old school, I guess? Anyway, I may be looking for some more songs in this BPM range soon. Will post my new playlist once I pull it together.