I’ve been toying with the idea of starting a blog for awhile, mostly as a way to journal my fitness and weight loss journey on my way to being a fit mom. I see it as an online journal, mostly for myself, and if someone happens to read it, well, okay. Since I’ve found myself lacking motivation in the healthy eating area lately, I figured the old saying applies: “There’s no time like the present.” So, here goes…
Let’s talk about goals. I feel like I need to re-examine my weight loss and fitness goals and “start fresh,” so to speak. Nothing like publicly committing to goals to feel like you’re accountable for meeting them, right? If you follow the SMART rules for goal setting, goals should be Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic, and Timely. So, what are my goals, exactly?
1. Overall weight loss target: 130 lbs. I’m 5’3″, so that’s pretty realistic, I think. This morning, after a delicious but rather large BBQ meal last night, I weighed in at 154 lbs, so that means I’ve got 24 lbs left to go. When I started out at the end of May 2009, I weighed in at 180 lbs, meaning of lost 26 lbs – over half the weight I want to lose! Yay, me! However, setting a time target for a 24 lb weight loss seems…reckless to me, since it’s taken be over a year to lose that much weight so far. My compromise? Setting a short term weight loss goal.
2. Lose 5 lbs by August 25th. Specifics of how I will accomplish this to be discussed later.
3. Run a half marathon on September 12th, 2010. I’m signed up and I’ve started training – just need to keep on keepin’ on.
That about sums up my “big picture” goals. Here’s my short term plan:
1. Make a meal plan for the week. I’ve been meeting a nutritionist regularly since December 2009, so this is not new. However, with the loosy-goosiness of summer, I’ve kind of fallen off the bandwagon in terms of meal planning (and sticking to healthy eating). I will post this tomorrow!
2. Workouts this week:
Monday – 1 hr swim with a swim coach (I did my first sprint distance triathlon in June and like saying I’m a triathlete, so I’d better keep up the swimming!)
Tuesday – speed intervals + strength workout (what my trainer calls the “300 workout” due to the number of reps involved)
Wednesday – upper body workout
Thursday – 45-60 min steady bike ride
Friday – off
Saturday – 18k run
Sunday – off
3. Stick to my meal plan! I’ve been having trouble with snacking lately – as in, doing too much of it. As added incentive, I’ve decided that if I stick to my meal plan tomorrow, I will watch The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. If I follow it the day after that, I will buy myself a new lip gloss (under $10). If I can stick for it for 3 days, I will indulge and read a cheesy romance. 4 days? A new workout top. 5 days will bring a soak in the tub with my favourite bath bomb. 6 days in a row = watching a chick flick (Hope Floats, anyone?) For 7 days, I will book myself in for a pedicure! Yes, I AM bribing myself, but desperate times call for desperate measures. I really need to get back on track with my eating, and, trust me, bribing myself with a pedi should do the trick.
So look for my meal plan for the week tomorrow! I’ll let you know how my swim goes, too.